Feb 8, 2013

Friday Favorite: Fooducate App

It's not that often that I find an app that I'm REALLY excited about, but the Fooducate app is definitely something to write home about! Although it's been around for a little over two years, it's new to me so bear with me if you are already "in the know."
The tagline for the app is "eat a bit better." It's all about educating you on the best food products at the grocery store.  It claims to be your "personal grocery advisor," and I whole-heartedly endorse that claim!   It was developed by a dad of three who was trying to educate himself about the healthiest products to feed his kids. I certainly appreciate him doing all the hard work for me!
And, the best part, it's free!
Basically, you can scan the barcode of any food to find out several things about it:
  • Nutritional information on that particular food, including a letter grade (A, A-, B, B-, C, C-, or D). Minimally processed, nutrient dense foods get the highest grades.
  • Warnings about natural unnatural flavors, dyes, artificial sweeteners, and other pesky chemicals that may be lurking around in your food.
  • Healthier alternatives to any food you scan that may not have an acceptable grade.
  • Weight Watchers Points Plus values! If you're not signed up for Weight Watchers but are looking for a way to track points, this app has a tracking system almost identical to Weight Watchers Points Plus. You can enter your daily food journal right on the app! Score!
  • You don't have to have a smart phone to get a report card on what you're eating. You can find out everything you need to know on the Fooducate website!
I have been scanning items like a crazy person! It's so interesting to find out that some things I thought were healthy are actually plagued with unhealthy additives.
Thanks to this app, I've brought my grades up in the grocery shopping department! Haha.
(Bear with me. I'm a self-proclaimed grocery geek.)
Here are some screen shots of my scan history. Trust me, you'll find out everything you wanted or didn't want to know about what you're eating!




This app actually has more to offer than I wrote about, so I highly suggest downloading it and exploring it yourself!

And don't forget to let me know what you think!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment