Jul 8, 2013

Weekly Menu Plan {Weight Watchers Syle} + Recipe for Zucchini & Mushroom Frittata

**Big news of the day:: My photo for Creamy Cilantro Lime Dressing was accepted on Tastespotting!!  As an amateur foodie and photographer, this is a pretty big deal, especially with long list of submission guidelines. I couldn't be more excited! Thanks, Tastespotting!**

Zucchini & Mushroom Frittata {recipe below} A few bites in, I realized I had turned my frittata into the continent of Africa! Ha!
I'm trying two new recipes this week, but otherwise we're relying on old faithfuls. Here are our dinner selections for the week:

**White Beans and Rice (Cauliflower Rice for Me), Baked Tilapa, Green Beans
**Mushroom, Bacon, & Beef Sandwich {trying this tasty sandwich for the first time}, PopChips
**Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Casserole {trying this simple casserole for the first time}, Corn, Garden Salad
**Asian Chicken, Easy Fried Rice, Stir Fry Veggies
**Light Chicken Alfredo Pizza (using the Classico's Light Alfredo sauce, Mama Mary's Whole Wheat Pizza Crust, and rotisserie chicken), Garden Salad
**Broiled Tilapia, Roasted Veggies, Rainbow Rice {aka throw-in-as-many-veggies-as-you-can rice}
**Leftovers

Now for the recipe I promised...

A frittata is basically an open-faced omelet. I enjoy omelets, but I wanted to go a little fancier for our breakfast-for-dinner night. In my search for a tasty, Weight Watcher-friendly recipe, I learned that frittatas are VERY versatile. You can pretty much add in anything you want to satisfy your taste buds! I chose to go heavy on veggies to save some points, and I was very pleased with the outcome. This recipe makes 4 servings, and it's 4 weight watcher points plus values per serving.

Zucchini & Mushroom Frittata

adapted from from Eat What You Love cookbook

Ingredients

4 large eggs
4 large egg whites (I used All Whites liquid egg whites)
1/4 teaspoon salt
Olive Oil Spray
1 small onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
2 small zucchini, diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
1 1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Instructions:

Preheat the broiler. In a bowl, whisk together eggs, egg whites, and salt. Place oven-proof skillet over medium heat. Spray skillet with olive oil spray (continue to use spray throughout recipe as needed). Add onion and garlic and cook until softened (2-3 minutes). Add zucchini and thyme and cook until zucchini begins to soften (3-4 minutes). Add mushrooms and cook just until mushrooms begin to soften (2-3 minutes). Reduce heat to low and pour in egg mixture. Push the cooked egg edges gently to the center, allowing the uncooked egg to flow down to the bottom of the skillet. Continue to cook over medium-low heat until the eggs are almost set (4-5 minutes). Sprinkle the parmesan cheese evenly over the eggs and place the skillet under the pre-heated broiler for about three minutes or until eggs are completely set and cheese is slightly brown. Remove the skillet from the oven and let cool for a few minutes. Divide into four equal portions and enjoy!

Liam and I enjoyed our frittata on Sunday night while watching Winnie the Pooh. He loved it, and I loved the fact that I was getting zucchini and mushroom in him with every tasty bite!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment