Jul 15, 2013

Holy Skinny Guacamole, Batman! + Our Weekly {Weight Watcher Friendly} Menu Plan

We had such a busy week last week that I didn't get around to all of the dinners I had planned.  I did, however, get to try the slow cooker chicken enchilada casserole and was pleased with how it turned out. I had to modify the recipe a bit because I failed to add salsa verde to my grocery list (thinking I had some in the pantry.. oops!). I used a can of mild Ro-tel instead (which I know changed the flavors a bit), but we still really liked it. Next time I'll be sure to grab a jar of the salsa verde to compare notes. I tasted the casserole right after it finished cooking, but we ate it later in the evening. I thought it tasted better after having cooled and solidified for a little while. Just a little tip in case you try it!

This week's menu plan  includes...

*Sesame Shrimp Stir Fry  (leaving out sesame seeds and decreasing sesame oil by 1 Tablespoon makes this 8 WW PPV's per serving)
*Slow Cooker Pork, Sweet Potato, Veggies
*Pizza with Pork, Onions, and Peppers, big salad
*Chicken Fajitas (with my own version of salsa)
*Grilled Chicken, Corn on the Cob, Baked Potato
*Leftovers

Now for the recipe...
In case you haven't picked up on it yet, I'm a huge fan of Mexican food. Unfortunately, most recipes are loaded with fat and calories, which I'm NOT a huge fan of. So I've been trying to modify some of my favorite Mexican dishes to lower the calories while still keeping the amazing flavors. For instance, this yummy Creamy Cilantro Lime Dressing is the perfect touch to a simple taco salad. 
But, let's be honest, it's not a true fiesta without the guac, right?!
Well, my latest recipe creation lightens up my beloved guacamole by incorporating low fat (and high protein) cottage cheese.  Yes, I said cottage cheese! I've never been a cottage cheese fan so I was a little hesitant at first, but I figured it was worth a shot. 
And I'm thankful I gave it a go. 
I was very pleased with this creamy and skinny guacamole.


Skinny Guacamole

adapted from Eat What You Love cookbook

Ingredients

1 ripe avocado, halved & pitted
1/3 cup cottage cheese, 2% fat
2 tablespoons lime juice (the juice of approximately one lime)
2 tablespoons red onion, chopped
1 small tomato, seeded & diced
salt, to taste
A few dashes of Tabasco sauce
2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped

Instructions

1. Scoop the pulp of the avocado into a food processor. Add the cottage cheese to the food processor. Process for 1 minute or until the mixture is smooth and creamy with no visible cottage cheese curds left.

2. Place the avocado mixture into a bowl. Add the lime juice, onion, tomato, salt, Tabasco, and cilantro. Mix well. Taste and adjust salt as necessary.

3. Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.

Makes 6 servings. 
1/4 cup of guacamole is 2  Weight Watchers Points Plus Values per serving. 

My favorite alternatives for regular tortilla chips are Sensible Portions Veggie Chips and Original PopChips. Zero Weight Watchers Points Plus alternatives would be carrot sticks, cucumber slices, or pepper strips.

Enjoy!

 

 

5 comments:

  1. Your menu looks good, interesting about adding the cottage cheese to guac, it's a fave around here. I'll have to give it a try soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you have a wonderful and delicious week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you taste the cottage cheese at all? This sounds like a good replacement. I recently saw one where they used peas, but they still have pts don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily, I didn't taste the cottage cheese. The lime and cilantro mask it very well! I just finished my batch off today :)

    ReplyDelete