Apr 11, 2013

Our First Vegetable Garden

This year we planted our first vegetable garden! 
We're almost three weeks into it so I thought I'd give a little update.
We picked up a simple raised bed garden kit from SAM's, which was perfect for what we wanted to plant. I used Gardner's Supply Company's Kitchen Garden Planner to decide on what plants we wanted to plant, as well as to determine good placement. We also consulted some friends who have been gardening for way longer than we have!


I really love that there are pre-planned, themed gardens on Gardener's Supply Company website. Having a purpose for the food you are growing helps to keep you motivated and also prevents waste. 
I call our little garden my salsa garden because I have big plans to make (and possibly can) some fresh salsa if we have enough produce. We planted tomatoes, bell peppers (red, yellow, and green), jalapeno peppers, banana peppers, cilantro, parsley, and cucumbers.


Most of our plants have been coming up nicely. 


We've only lost one cucumber plant so far, but we still have hope for the other three. We've since replaced it's spot in the garden with some green onions. Our next project is to create a trellis for the remaining cucumber plants, which would allow them to grow up instead of out.


Our tomatoes are caged now, and we're seeing some little baby tomatoes popping up on the vine! So exciting!

Roma Tomatoes
Parsley
Bell Pepper
Having a garden has been a great experience for our family so far.  The boys help to water it, and Silas knows the names of the plants. I'm hoping this will inspire them to eat their veggies as well! Kevin and I have also enjoyed learning about gardening together and having fun around a common interest. All in all, I think it was a good decision! I'll update more throughout the summer.

How does your garden grow?

 

2 comments:

  1. Fun! I have yet to grow a cucumber, but my Dad swears you could toss seeds in the yard and grow a bucket full. The man has a green thumb, and I kill everything that can walk to the water bowl:) I can't wait to do a garden like this one day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've talked to other people with cucumber growing issues, and that makes me feel better! lol I'm hoping the rest of our plants survive long enough to produce fruit!

    ReplyDelete